Tuesday, March 28, 2017

surgery, San Jose "spring break", mobile Peter, cousins

Kid quotes

Everett (playing doctor): "There's something wrong with your throat."
Me: "Oh no! Is it inflamed?"
Ev: "No. It's dead." 

Me: "What can I do to be a better mommy?"
Ev: "Ask Jesus to help you."
Me: "Aww. That's a wonderful idea. Jesus can help us with what we need. What are some things I could do that would make you think I'm a good mommy?"
Ev: "You can eat your toes."

Everett: "Macaroni and cheese can't move. Why?"

Everett: "It's okay; I can clean it with my tongue."

Everett: "What if I had all the food and you guys had none?" Laughs maniacally

Everett: "Is 5+3=8? Because when you go to heaven and Daddy goes to heaven, we can go to Daniel and Hanna's house and they can have eight kids. "

Adeline talks quite a bit and I think she understands most of what we mean, but sometimes - 

Me: "Ask nicely"
Adeline: "Nice please"

Me: "Yes or no"
Adeline: "Yes or no"

 

Waiting for Adeline's hernia repair surgery

Not long after we moved to Fallon, we gave Adeline a bath and noticed a bulge on the right side of her lower abdomen. With a bit of pressure I could pop it back in. We were temporarily living with my parents so I asked my mom, a nurse, to look at it and she said it definitely looked like Adeline had a hernia. Three of my brothers and I had had hernias at about her age so I knew to keep my eye out for that possibility in my children. 
At least once a week for the next few months, the bulge would pop out. Most of the time it took multiple attempts to get it to stay in. It could pop out when she sat up, coughed, went to the bathroom, or with no apparent reason. 

One day I brought all three kids to Peter's check-up and Adeline was grumpy and whiny and clingy. Then her hernia popped out and she was crying and wincing and writhing and squirming and the doctor and I had to repeatedly pop it back in. The doctor moved our surgery referral to stat and then even helped me get the kids in the car since I was by myself. When we got home Adeline became quite listless and lay on the floor trying to get comfortable.  I was so focused on the hernia that it wasn't until Dallin mentioned the idea that we realized she was probably sick. Her doctors have said she may have asthma; so when she gets sick, she has a more difficult time breathing. We  think her straining to breathe was popping out the hernia. So I scheduled to see the doctor for the second time that day, this time to have Adeline's health assessed. Sure enough, her oxygen level was very low and she was re-prescribed breathing treatments. This experience made me anxious to get the hernia repaired and I naively supposed that it could happen in just a couple of weeks. But she first needed a few more appointments for - an ultrasound, an assessment by the surgeon, and pre-op paperwork (the night before we left for NY). When we met with the surgeon, she said the hernia was developmental, would not go away on its own. and if left unrepaired, could lead to the strangulation and death of parts of her intestine. 

Jeff came into town to help out during this time. He is one of Adeline's favorite people so she was distracted from her experience of fasting, waiting, and being assessed prior to surgery. The grandmotherly nurse swooped in, cradled Adeline in her arms and whisked her away before she had time to realize what was happening. The anesthesiologist was a bit reluctant to have her go under since she still had her persistent congestion and resultant sub-optimal breathing capacity, but he agreed to do it after I acknowledged the risks involved. He ended up needing to order her a breathing treatment, but other than that there were no complications. 
She got to take home lots of little things to add to her toy doctor's kit. 

Dallin and I ordered two basque-style meals at the restaurant inside the Overland Hotel and Jeff had curry. So much food. There were about six or seven courses. Dallin's lamb was divinely tender. I loved my chicken dish though Jeff and Dallin didn't really like how tomatoey it was. They gave us ice-cream instead of the complementary wine without us even asking. It was not as smokey as I was expecting with the saloon being just through the door. 

For Valentine's Day, Everett made cards for his preschool classmates and I wrote in them what he wanted to say to each of them. For Elise's he said, "She’s my cousin. I like her the whole of the best. I want to go on an adventure with her. I like playing We are the Dinosaurs game with her. I like playing babies with her. I’m the dad." For his teacher he said, "I love... I like her. Yes I do. Just listen to her!"

I made a few different goos over a couple of days but the one that held their attention the longest was a mixture of cornstarch and water at just the right ratio to harden with pressure and ooze when released. Everett played with it for nearly an hour.








Peter had been sitting up with little support or for short periods of time for a couple of months but in mid February he transitioned to being able to sit up without falling over for long periods of time. One of the first times he did this was while playing with this Millennium, Falcon. About a week ago he figured out how to get from his belly or back to sitting.  


 

Soon after that he figured out how to stay sitting up in the tub.


Everett has figured out how to build with K'Nex quite independently but still loves doing it with his dad.


When sickness kept Everett home from preschool one day, he wanted to play preschool at home that day and the next so I made up little activities for him (not all pictured)


After going to New York and loving the margherita pizza, I have since made some at our home and later on a visit to San Jose. I tried turning our oven to the hottest it could go but it started smoking so sadly I had to lower the temperature. These are before and afters of different pizzas. Both times making it I didn't have enough tomatoes. I thought it worked best when I cooked the dough a couple minutes, added the sauce and mozzarella, cooked it a couple more, and topped it with basil after (Not like in the first picture with everything on the dough before it went on the pizza stone, though that was yummy too).


One evening I had a primary presidency meeting and while I was gone, Dallin bathed the kids (new towels) and helped them build almost every puzzle that we own.

On safari at the library

 

Field trip to the dentist and optometrist

We loved  getting outside during the warmer days between the cold spells this winter


cousins!



San Jose
One of Brennen's nurses was gone for three weeks and so we went for one week to help out, celebrate Aerin's birthday with her, and have an early spring break. One major difference this time was that now Aerin has a cat. Her name is Nina but Adeline initially called her Mimo and referred to her as a bunny. One time I couldn't find Everett so I called for him and he came around the corner saying, "What?" while holding the poor kitty up in the air by it's underarms. They were smitten.
We played a lot of Munchkin (one cut-throat game in particular with Thomas and Candace involved much ganging-up on Dallin and then me when we would have won) and other games like Concept, Tribond, Library, and Forbidden Island (we scraped by with a win). I crashed their Stake Women's Conference with Tracy. The kids' little neighbor friend J. came over to play a couple times. My cousin Haley and her daughter C. came over to play and chat. We visited the Oakland zoo, ate at the Black Bear Diner, went out for sushi to celebrate Aerin's birthday, got Arrival on Redbox, and listened to Little House on the Prairie and 100 Songs for Kids while travelling.

Watching Daddy get Brennen ready in the morning



 

 

Oakland Zoo

Everett's kind of obsessed with the maps when we go to these places

 One fun spot gave us a close-up of two otters chasing and wrestling each other 




While in San Jose, Peter started to crawl a little bit. These clips are from over the last week since we've been home.


We borrowed my cousin Ben's car to support our ward pinewood derby. It came in 1st place all three times it went down the track. Heavier is supposedly better but it only weighed 4 oz and we were allowed to have it be up to 6 oz. 

Brandon and Calista came to town!
This is what happens when Everett hangs out with his three oldest girl cousins.

Sand Mountain

We set up "camp" on a smaller hill. Lots of sand toys, delicious sandwiches, cookie taste-tests, good conversation, near perfect weather, acrobatics, races, cartwheels, lawn chairs, cousins, watching dune buggies. 

A group of us ventured to the top of the peaks closest to us.

 On the way up

At the top

Rolling down

No comments:

Post a Comment